Toxic Ingestion

Treatment for Toxin Ingestion in Mississauga and Brampton Pets

Pets can have bad reactions to a variety of substances, some of which might have no toxic effect on humans at all. If you suspect that your pet has ingested a toxin, you need to act fast, starting with a call to Derry Village Animal Clinic, your trusted source for emergency veterinary care and advice in Mississauga and Brampton.

.

The Frighteningly Wide World of Pet Toxins

Pets display a natural curiosity, coupled with the apparent inability to resist anything which might taste good. This combination of traits can spell serious trouble around the average household, which contains many potential pet poisons. Perhaps the most obvious examples are cleaning products and medicines that have not been properly hidden away behind closed cabinet doors. Your garage may host a number of poisonous substances, not just on the shelves, but also in the tiny puddles that sometimes form underneath cars. Antifreeze, in particular, can attract animals due to its sweet odor and taste.

Other pet poisons may surprise you. For example, many of the foods we humans enjoy without trouble can poison a dog or cat. Examples include:

  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Grapes or raisins
  • Citrus fruits
  • Caffeinated beverages
  • Chocolate
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Avocado
  • Xylitol (a popular non-sugar sweetener)

Even certain household and garden plants such as lilies, tulips, azaleas, hyacinth, and poinsettias can have toxic effects.

How Our Veterinarian Can Help

Signs of toxin ingestion in pets include diarrhea, vomiting, rapid heart rate, confusion, and jaundice. If you see these signs in your pet, take action immediately. Don't assume, however, that inducing vomiting is always the right idea. Under some circumstances, it can do more harm than good. Instead, call our animal hospital immediately, describe the symptoms to us, and identify the toxin if you can. We will tell you whether you need to perform emergency first aid or simply rush your pet directly to our vet clinic.

Our veterinarian, Dr. Sharma, can provide prompt, skilled treatment for pet toxin ingestion. In some cases, we may administer a charcoal-based medication to deactivate the ingested substance. In others, we may use emetics to bring the substance back up. Our animal hospital will also take other measures as needed to stabilize your pet's vital signs and prevent any further internal damage.

Facing a Possible Veterinary Crisis? Call Derry Village Animal Clinic

A veterinary crisis such as poison ingestion calls for high-quality emergency vet care. Call Derry Village Animal Clinic in Mississauga at (905) 670-1414!

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Closed on Sunday and stat holidays

Monday:

8:30 am-8:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:30 am-8:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:30 am-8:00 pm

Thursday:

8:30 am-8:00 pm

Friday:

8:30 am-8:00 pm

Saturday:

9:00 am-5:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed